If we can’t fix the problem, we ensure the litigation, arbitration, or administrative proceeding is resolved on the best possible terms in your favor.
- Represents Brazilian insurance association against major medical device manufacturer
- Represents international marine association in first-of-its kind lawsuit against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Represents civil rights activist in defamation suit against national news organization
- Represents brewery in supplier litigation
- Represents solar company in administrative appeals and regulatory disputes against utility monopoly
- Successfully argued litigations, government enforcement actions, and appeals in multiple state and federal courts [e.g., In re 401 Water Quality Certification, 822 N.W.2d 676 (Minn. Ct. App. 2012); Nat’l Wildlife Fed’n v. Martens, et al., No. 6181-2012 (N.Y. Sup. Ct. Oct. 10, 2013); Nat’l Wildlife Fed’n v. EPA, 945 F. Supp. 2d 39, 40 (D.D.C. 2013)]
- Pioneered the use of intervention in appeals of administrative actions in Minnesota [e.g., In re Environmental Assessment Worksheet for the 33rd Sale of State Metallic Leases, 838 N.W.2d 212 (Minn. Ct. App. 2013), review denied (Minn. Nov. 26, 2013)]
- Represented one of the country’s largest mining companies in a first-of-its-kind lawsuit against the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency [Mingo Logan Coal Co. Inc. v. EPA, 850 F. Supp. 2d 133 (D.D.C. 2012) rev’d sub nom., 714 F.3d 608 (D.C. Cir. 2013) cert. denied, 134 S. Ct. 1540 (2014)]
- Successfully appealed a custody determination and created novel law in Minnesota, that immigration status is not an appropriate basis for a child custody determination [In re Custody of A.L.R., 830 N.W.2d 163 (Minn. Ct. App. 2013)]
Whether you need to form a business, raise money, negotiate contracts, manage employees, or manage risk, we provide it all.
- General Counsel to a solar energy development company in Minnesota, from start up to project completion
- Outside Counsel to a major league sports team involving all aspects of the organization from contract negotiation, to dispute resolution
- Developed and negotiated franchise agreements for multiple brands
- Negotiated real estate options and purchase agreements for tens of millions of dollars
- Represents two National Historic Landmarks in the Adirondacks on all aspects of non-profit law, contracts, and dispute resolution
- General Counsel to multiple non-profit organizations on matters relating to civil rights law, entity formation, solicitation, etc.
- Advises international shipping companies and equipment manufacturers on regulatory compliance in the United States
Represents civil rights activists in civil and criminal disputes involving constitutional rights, international norms, and civil liberties. Mostly pro bono.
- Represents prominent civil rights activist in a lawsuit against a major media conglomerate
- Advises multiple civil rights leaders on contracts, civil and criminal disputes, regulatory compliance, and threatened lawsuits
- Advises civil rights organizations on a wide range of legal issues related to police violence, voting rights, entity formation, fundraising, and partnerships
- Represents detainee imprisoned on the Guantanamo Bay naval base for the past 16 years [Alkhemisi et al. v. Obama, No. 05–1983 (DDC)]
- Advises several prominent civil rights leaders on myriad legal issues, from IP to defamation, criminal law to election law
- Created novel law in Minnesota, that immigration status is not an appropriate basis for a child custody determination [In re Custody of A.L.R., 830 N.W.2d 163 (Minn. Ct. App. 2013)]
- Co-authored amicus curiae brief in 2013 Supreme Court case [Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum Co., 133 S. Ct. 1659 (2013) (Brief on Reargument of Professors of Legal History and Federal Jurisdiction, Martin S. Flaherty and John V. Orth, As Amici Curiae in Support of Petitioners)]
We provide strategic and compliance advice on all aspects of administrative law, with a focus on energy, electricity, franchises and environmental regulation.
- Advises international shipping companies, treatment system manufacturers, and associations on laws and regulations governing the discharge and treatment of ballast water
- Advises clients on all aspects of solar facility siting and interconnection
- Represented franchisors and franchisees on all aspects of franchise agreements
- Advises multiple entities on alcohol regulation, marketing and compliance
- Developed the regulatory and legal parameters for one of the world’s largest underground mines
- Advised one of the country’s largest solar developers on Minnesota’s solar mandate and new projects in Minnesota
- Advises clients on the scope and requirements of numerous state and federal environmental, water use, wetlands, land use and security laws